Mar 22, 2009

Blogging styles and stylesheets

By Dave Riley

A couple of days ago the blog theme I preferred -- NEO -- ran into a major glitch such that it wasn't very operational. This meant that I had to begin the process of renovating all the blogs I've created using the NEO template.

What could have been a major chore turned into an exciting surf of discovery of the latest designs being generated by the ever expanding and always generous Blogger hacker community. Among these folk BloggerBuster was my most useful port of call.

So while I now use my own hacked version of 2009 HEXADECIMAL here I've garnered an assortment of other templates for other RatbagMedia sites. So I've started to work through the refit:
The complication is that you really don't know what a template can do until you use and abuse it. So if you turn up here and there has been a renovation you'll know that 2009 HEXADECIMAL has fallen from favour or I have hacked the beejeebers out of it.

If you aren't a blogger or a blogger who is as template focused as I -- you'd miss the delights that this activity can foster. I always regret the fact that most bloggers don't realize how many tools they could harness if they did a bit more web homework. There's no such thing as the perfect blog and the desire to customize can encourage a relentless creativity. [I'd call it a 'creativity', anyway].

Another design I've snaffled for use in this mode is TypoXP 2.1 for KickBike & Kettlebell. Typo --which can be viewed in Demo format here is a wonderful piece of design machinery.