Sep 8, 2012

Montage a go go

Montage by Philippe Jusforgues
So there's me, right, playing around with my snip and paste trying to make comics -- montage comics -- when I  thought I'd go Google a bit.

"Montage"

So I come upon this simply great site -- collageart.org -- which is a sort of montagee's wet dream.

resources. resources. 

So you don't have to go back to Russia and Constructivism or wallow in cultural edginess of the Weimar Republic. You can  get your  fresh produce montage fix online any day... 

The galleries linked to by collageart.org - are all fantastic examples of the magic...and I now feel not so alone as I did. Montage like this may seem, in the light of the whiz bang of Photoshoppery, all very old hat, but the  real clincher for the form is the  ready merging of contradictory elements. It's scrapbooking of whatever takes your fancy because digital is at home with its kind.

It's not a "Sur-real(ity)" because  it is very much closer to DADA and Constructivism. Nor is it essentially sentenced to what may have once been printed.

It's like Rap/Hip Hop -- sampling stuff to make new stuff. But the thing I appreciate is that with this sort of montage -- esp much photomontage --   the means used is self evident.

And here's a surprize: my own work is going to be linked to from collageart.org.
From my recent webcomic.