Jan 12, 2008

Another revolutionary pilgrim in Bolivia

Heya comrades & friends, hope you are all well.

I am in Bolivia for one month checking out the indigenous revolution that is unfolding here. Today I bumped into 2 protests and one mass court action. The Morales and MAS goverment have a real fight on their hands to progress. They have very organised , rich right-wing blocking their plans for a progressive constitution. The right-wing are even blocking plans to give poor elderly people a dignity pension, which will give 676,000 people over 60 US $26 a month. A move to combat the poverty which currently effects 67% of Bolivia´s 9.6 million people. According to the Bolivian National Statistics Institute 37% of Bolivians live in extreme poverty.

I have set up a blog site to share the protests that I get to and the amazing people I meet! The protestors I have met were pleased to hear Australians are following what is happening here! Comrade Fred Fuentes has also set up a great English Bolivia news website. Check it out if you are able!

Hope the Australian struggle is going well!
Comradely, rachel evans