Jan 12, 2008

Pro-Auto propaganda

by Dave Riley
I own up to being a Luddite in regard to two things: cars and mobile phones. That doesn't mean that I will or should take an ax to them. I'd rather that I be allowed to not take responsibility for them by owning the hardware.

But this post and video add ons from Carectomy com make my heat sing with righteousness. I have been very familiar with the second video but the first -- a TV episode from 1958 -- tells us so much about the pespectives that got us where we are today in regard to, what Carectony calls,"Disney’s pro-Auto propaganda."

Disney’s Magic Highway USA:
Carectomy: I find it incredible that the same company that produced Magic Highway USA made Motor Mania eight years earlier. Not surprisingly, Disney’s “serious” treatment promotes the car as the ticket to autonomy and individual bliss. It takes a cartoon with Goofy to bring us some car-truth. In a clip that belongs with our Car Damages Your Health article, Goofy demonstrates the monstrous transition people undergo when they get behind the wheel. Disney gets soft at the end though, with parting advice along the lines of “drive nicer.”
Disney’s Motor Mania: