May 31, 2012

Comics on my To-Do list

 Rius Marx for Beginners

I haven't read a super hero comic since I was twelve. That was a very long time ago.

But I'm reading Gotham Central Book Four: Corrigan and am amazed by its creative use of dramatic language of image and text.

I've crossed over to the comic universe. 

I still can't stand Superherodom but  good story telling warrants  deference.

In fact my reading preferences have swung sharply to graphic novels  such that I can't get enough of the stuff. And I'm reading some great material...and some crap.


Dave's graphic-novel book montage

The new adventures of Jesus
Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
Aya of Yop City
The Silence
The Everything Guide to Writing Graphic Novels: From Superheroes to Manga - All You Need to Create and Sell Your Graphic Works
Asterios Polyp
The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas
Mangaman
The Adventures of Hergé
The Secrets Come Out
It Was the War of the Trenches
American Born Chinese
Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth
Good-Bye, Chunky Rice


Dave Riley's favorite books »




I've always liked cartooning but I'd never embraced the full on business that now passes as 'graphic novels'. 

It took until Persepolis to turn my head. Now I'm catching up.

I'm tracking down some of the Beginner series of informational comics -- such as the classic Rius Marx for Beginners (page above)  to get a feel for the density of  information you can load a comic with. 

It's like all my Christmases have come at once. 

For homework I keep looking for excuses to make my own comics using ComicLife. I'm thinking I have found  my voice. Since theatre and audio is difficult for me to pull off nowadays and video can be cumbersome I'm much taken with the way that comics merge a lot of elements and arranges them on the page -- and then creates more pages in like mode. 

Consequently I have a few projects in mind. A few experiments on my to-do list. Maybe I can't draw so well and would anyway find that too time consuming...but there are many roads to Rome.